It’s a simple word; but for me; this is what 2014 is all about. *No whips involved though*
I have chatted already about the discipline that has been restored to my ample cleavage; but there were so many other aspects of my life that are totally lacking in it that I simply had to do something.
My iPhone is surgically attached to my hand
This appears to be a symptom of modern life. One’s phone must always be with one…if it isn’t then there is something missing. One feels bereft; lost. Perish the thought that there is no WiFi/3G on holiday. What would we all do?
Social media is ubiquitous
I seem to be on it all the time, or doing stuff with it. I don’t need to. I have tried to reign it in before. Social media has been taking over my life for a while.
Fitness is a fad
I have started many an exercise routine and it has fallen by the wayside all to quickly. Whatever the latest idea is…I seem to jump on it; don Lycra, make an arse of myself and then give up. Jazzecise, Zumba, Pilates…it lasts a few months and then everything goes south again.
Blogging isn’t fun anymore
My blog was my way of doing something that I enjoyed that earned some extra money without it interfering with looking after those lovely wee children we seem to have created. The making money bit is now getting in the way of enjoying blogging and writing.
Blogging isn’t the only hobby I can have
I used to read, I used to do Origami and papercraft. I have done NOTHING in the last few years except try and build my blog. Chatterbox loves craft. She is missing out. It doesn’t matter if it is rubbish. I don’t HAVE to blog about it. I can just enjoy the time doing it with my children.
All of this means that in 2014 I need to kick some serious ass:
- Put my phone away, or even leave it at home when I go out with the kids
- Turn off Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and whatever else unless I am at work, or blogging. Don’t use them when the kids are around and engaged
- Stop giving up with getting fit. I have started swimming again; I must make sure that I continue. One of my favourite Christmas presents was a waterproof watch. I am a goal orientated person, and therefore I shall be timing my swimming. 50 lengths in 46 minutes this evening – can I beat it next time?
- Find the balance between blogging for fun and blogging for business. Even better find something to blog about that works for both. Don’t set yourself impossible targets. Blogging twice a week is OK; honest.
- Start doing stuff JUST FOR ME; find those hobbies again. I got three more wonderful presents for Christmas; a Kindle Paperwhite, a Crafters Companion Ultimate Pro, and some Origami paper. These forty year old fingers have still got it you know…
So watch this space; I will need that Discipline for those five things to happen. But you know what, this time it is going to be different.
What is your word for 2014? Or what are your resolutions? Do you have any? Do share with me, we can all support each other.
Image courtesy of vectorolie / freedigitalphotos.net